For Cape Cod vacation homeowners, an annual rite of spring is opening the cottage—or castle, as it may be—after a winter of non-use. A thorough
spring cleaning means a happy homeowner and more time to relax come the summer season.
Rather than running out to buy a commercial cleaner, consider “going green.” You can fashion an array of “green” cleaners, free of a long list of chemical ingredients and often with everyday household items you already have on hand. Here is a selection; you can find others online.
Happy cleaning! Happy spring!
ALL-PURPOSE CLEANER AND DEODORIZER
Use on: Counters, inside microwave and refrigerators, general cleaning
• 4 tablespoons baking soda dissolved in 1 quart warm water
Dampen a clean cloth or sponge and wipe surface
Use on: Mirrors, windows, glass-front cabinets
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 cup white or cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol (70% solution)
• 1 to 2 drops of an essential oil of your choice (optional; try lemon, orange or lavender)
Use on: Stove tops and hoods, ovens
• 1/2 cup sudsy ammonia mixed (versus regular non-sudsy ammonia; sudsy ammonia contains detergent) with one gallon of water.
Moisten sponge or clean cloth and wipe surface; rinse with clean water